Book review with Stuart McGuire
Never Split the Difference written by Chris Voss, who was a former international hostage negotiator for the FBI offers a new field-tested approach to high-stakes negotiations—whether in the boardroom or at home. He reveals the skills that helped him and his colleagues succeed where it mattered most: saving lives.
Today, the number of infected people in this pandemic has been increasing and the third wave is coming, but statisticians still cannot convince the government to act accordingly. They fail in negotiating their point and convincing others. This book gives us some tips and tricks, and some calibrating questions on how to make effective negotiation that lead us to a YES.
Join us while we talk about this practical guide which has ten effective principles—counterintuitive tactics and strategies—you too can use to become more persuasive in both your professional and personal life:
- How to become the smartest person in any room
- How to quickly establish rapport
- How to create trust with tactical empathy
- How to generate momentum and make it safe to reveal the real stakes
- How to gain the permission to persuade
- How to share what is fair
- How to calibrate questions to transform conflict into collaboration
- How to spot liars and ensure follow-through from everyone else
- How to get your price
- How to create breakthroughs by revealing the unknown unknowns
Listen to this podcast and learn from it together with your friends and colleagues!
Never miss an episode of The Effective Statistician
Join hundreds of your peers and subscribe to get our latest updates by email!