In this episode, we speak about one of the most important work relationships – the one with the physician. As a statistician we work with them in all kind of things on the job. They also might become great friends.
In the episode, we will cover the following topics:
- Topics to increase the understanding where the physician is coming from such as
- How was he successful in his previous job – e.g. emergency room setting with command and follow setting to solve urgent crisis
- Hospitals and physician’s offices are built with the physician at the center as he is the bottle neck
- Has he even been a KOL before joining the company – that’ll make it hard for him to switch to a new culture
- Mindset and tactics to create a successful partnership such as
- Have 1:1s in which they you can answer their perceived “stupid” questions
- be a partner and not a service provider
- Present data together with the physician and show him, how you both can benefit
- How to become a more valuable partner to the physician by e.g.
- Provide draft conclusions based on analyses
- Learn his language as you encourage him to learn yours
- Have a physician as a mentor to learn how to best work with them
- Tips on how to give the physician insights into your job and that it is not a push the button exercise
Never miss an episode of The Effective Statistician
Join your peers and subscribe to get our latest updates by email.
Get the shownotes of our podcast episodes plus tips and tricks to increase your impact at work to boost your career!