In this episode, we speak about one of the most important work relationships – the one with the physician. As a statistician we work with them in all kind of things on the job. They also might become great friends.
In the episode, we will cover the following topics:
- Topics to increase the understanding where the physician is coming from such as
- How was he successful in his previous job – e.g. emergency room setting with command and follow setting to solve urgent crisis
- Hospitals and physician’s offices are built with the physician at the center as he is the bottle neck
- Has he even been a KOL before joining the company – that’ll make it hard for him to switch to a new culture
- Mindset and tactics to create a successful partnership such as
- Have 1:1s in which they you can answer their perceived “stupid” questions
- be a partner and not a service provider
- Present data together with the physician and show him, how you both can benefit
- How to become a more valuable partner to the physician by e.g.
- Provide draft conclusions based on analyses
- Learn his language as you encourage him to learn yours
- Have a physician as a mentor to learn how to best work with them
- Tips on how to give the physician insights into your job and that it is not a push the button exercise
Never miss an episode of The Effective Statistician
Join hundreds of your peers and subscribe to get our latest updates by email!